Skip to content

April 25, 2016

2

Columned Ruins

by PeterG
Basic but very usable for multiple genre's.

Basic but very usable for multiple genre’s.

 

I have been going through my collection of unfinished terrain projects with an eye for things usable in Frostgrave.  With KublaCon coming up in Burlingame, CA at the end of May I have a self imposed deadline.  Among a number of things I came upon a set of resin columns with base and extra broken pieces.  I recall picking them up years ago at a convention flea market with the idea of adding them to my Tomb Kings Necropolis collection but they will really work with a number of different games.  I found some plywood ovals that looked close in size and thickness to the resin base big enough to glue a couple the broken column pieces to each.

 

The resin base I was trying to match.

The resin base I was trying to match.

 

The tiles on the original were of varying thickness so found a couple different sheets of rough cardboard and cut them into one inch squares to match.  I then coated a wood oval with Tacky Glue and started gluing them into place.

 

Had my cardboard squares of various thicknesses divided out and ready to go.

Had my cardboard squares of various thicknesses divided out and ready to go.

 

I didn’t worry too much about overlapping the edges as I was going to trim them later.  I tried to scatter the thicker ones randomly across the surface.

 

TilesOn

The base covered and glue drying

I left the bases to dry over night so they would be solid when I tried trimming them.

 

TilesTrimmed

With the edges trimmed it is starting to look pretty good.

 

As always, sharp blades are essential so I changed mine regularly.  Once the bases were trimmed they were ready for details to be attached.  I am going call the piece the columns sit on a plinth just to avoid confusion in this post.  The original plinths looked like they had been cut from the extra thick foam core.  As I don’t have any of that I doubled up regular foam core and used light weight wall patch to seal the edges and add texture. Inspired by a friend’s experimentation with insulation foam I decided to use some of the blue stuff to make my scattered bricks.  Again, very sharp blades make all the difference between success and frustration.  As with the tiles I made pile of these as well as bigger pieces to play the part of large marble slabs.  These larger parts were also coated with wall patch for stone texture.

 

DiviedandDrying

Bases ready to go with resin columns, broken parts, and plinths divided between them.

Columns6

Blue foam makes nice blocks and rubble.

Columns5

Tried for a mix of heights and details.

Columns4

Really wanted them to block line of sight and movement.

Columns3

Hmmm, all this bare foam will need brush on primer.

Columns2

I really didn’t need to put in so much effort on the base when most of it ended up covered.

Columns1

Looks ready for primer and paint.

 

With everything glued together it is time to paint them.  Since the propellants used in spray paint will dissolve styro foam and my airbrush isn’t set up yet I went with brush on primer.

2 Comments Post a comment
  1. Apr 25 2016

    These will make a great frame for a temple floor open area. May I suggest using the thin 2mm foam for a floor base.
    Cheers
    Ths

    Reply
    • PeterG
      May 4 2016

      I like that idea a lot. We must have further discussions at KublaCon.

      Reply

Leave a Reply

Note: HTML is allowed. Your email address will never be published.

Subscribe to comments

required
required