Skip to content

Archive for

25
Apr

Columned Ruins

Basic but very usable for multiple genre's.

Basic but very usable for multiple genre’s.

 

I have been going through my collection of unfinished terrain projects with an eye for things usable in Frostgrave.  With KublaCon coming up in Burlingame, CA at the end of May I have a self imposed deadline.  Among a number of things I came upon a set of resin columns with base and extra broken pieces.  I recall picking them up years ago at a convention flea market with the idea of adding them to my Tomb Kings Necropolis collection but they will really work with a number of different games.  I found some plywood ovals that looked close in size and thickness to the resin base big enough to glue a couple the broken column pieces to each.

 

The resin base I was trying to match.

The resin base I was trying to match.

 

The tiles on the original were of varying thickness so found a couple different sheets of rough cardboard and cut them into one inch squares to match.  I then coated a wood oval with Tacky Glue and started gluing them into place.

 

Had my cardboard squares of various thicknesses divided out and ready to go.

Had my cardboard squares of various thicknesses divided out and ready to go.

 

I didn’t worry too much about overlapping the edges as I was going to trim them later.  I tried to scatter the thicker ones randomly across the surface.

 

TilesOn

The base covered and glue drying

I left the bases to dry over night so they would be solid when I tried trimming them.

 

TilesTrimmed

With the edges trimmed it is starting to look pretty good.

 

As always, sharp blades are essential so I changed mine regularly.  Once the bases were trimmed they were ready for details to be attached.  I am going call the piece the columns sit on a plinth just to avoid confusion in this post.  The original plinths looked like they had been cut from the extra thick foam core.  As I don’t have any of that I doubled up regular foam core and used light weight wall patch to seal the edges and add texture. Inspired by a friend’s experimentation with insulation foam I decided to use some of the blue stuff to make my scattered bricks.  Again, very sharp blades make all the difference between success and frustration.  As with the tiles I made pile of these as well as bigger pieces to play the part of large marble slabs.  These larger parts were also coated with wall patch for stone texture.

 

DiviedandDrying

Bases ready to go with resin columns, broken parts, and plinths divided between them.

Columns6

Blue foam makes nice blocks and rubble.

Columns5

Tried for a mix of heights and details.

Columns4

Really wanted them to block line of sight and movement.

Columns3

Hmmm, all this bare foam will need brush on primer.

Columns2

I really didn’t need to put in so much effort on the base when most of it ended up covered.

Columns1

Looks ready for primer and paint.

 

With everything glued together it is time to paint them.  Since the propellants used in spray paint will dissolve styro foam and my airbrush isn’t set up yet I went with brush on primer.

19
Apr

Frostgrave Terrain- Third Work In Progress

I like the Wooden Wars soldier peeking from the third floor window.

I like the Wooden Wars soldier peeking from the third floor window.

 

I knew I’d regret not cutting out all the windows before I started gluing everything together and the tower proved me right.  Of course as an expected hassle it wasn’t too frustrating but, sadly, I have enough wisdom to know I’ll make that mistake again.  Oh well, chalk it up to spontaneity.  I did get to use a resin doorway I had picked up in a collection on eBay ages ago for the covered stairway.

 

Roof will have to wait.

Roof will have to wait.

 

Began building the covered stairway on the end of the pass through.  I think I can avoid building all the stairs though the area right at the top will show through the doorway so I will have to think of something before I glue the roof on.  That will have to wait until I’ve finished painting the interior so I still have some time to contemplate.  Added some walls and rubble to the back of the long row which really helped get it closer to painting.  Used up an old pack of “green stuff” to sculpt the stone arch.

 

Still need some roofs but it is ready for color.

Still need some roofs but it is ready for color.

 

Been making more ladders and bridges as well.  Little personal victory when I realized that two end bits of scrap could be turned around and turned into a broken board.

 

Watch your step

Watch your step

GluingBridges3

I’m sure that’s safe

GluingBridges2

Looks like it’s right off an old Hollywood set

GluingBridges1

Practically designed for soldiers to plummet from.

More Bridges drying

More Bridges drying

 

While working on the long row I finished painting the second building.  I would have added a great deal of rubble for looks but it would have interfered with the gaming uses which defeats the point really.  In the end I did add a little flock, as a compromise, to break up the surface of the floors.  Now it just looks like a well kept ruin.

 

Number2C

Really have to get more of those Mordheim doorways

Number2B

Just enough stairway left to get to the second floor.

Number2A

Not too bad, all in all.

 

While cleaning out the closet I came upon a number of forgotten projects.  One is a bunch of resin columns and the other is an extra statue from the Gardens of Morr from Games Workshop whose original purpose I can’t recall.  Now it will join my terrain collection.

 

First coats of color

First coats of color but far from done.