Skip to content

October 22, 2015


Dwarf Artillery Pieces

by PeterG



Since they are such a good price I had picked up two of Mantic Games’ Dwarf artillery pieces, planning to assemble one of each the Organ Gun and Cannon.  Once my friends and I started playing Kings of War I knew I needed to base them as complete units, besides, the Undead catapults had been so much fun to make and paint.  I started with the same wooden discs I had picked up for the Balefire bases I had made previously and the assembled miniatures to draw the outline of the siege works I wanted my dwarfs to be entrenched in.  I tried to plan for some of the extra bits like powder boxes and beer tankards.  I decided this project was the perfect opportunity to paint and use the ancient flame cannon and crew I’d been saving for years so added them to the queue.



The whole team fits with room for fortifications.


Love the extra bits and details Mantic include on the sprue.


Been looking for an excuse to paint this team for decades now. Good thing they are a perfect fit.


Look even better painted.


Drawing the outline of the siege works


While the machines and crews were being painted it was time to start building defensive positions.  Back in the day, dwarf armies had engineers that could build fortifications so I’ve always liked the idea of hiding my fragile artillery behind defensive works. Yet another project for using up the scraps and clutter on my desk is always a good thing.  I assembled the walls first out of bits of wood and glued planking down where the war machine would be seated.  When the walls were dry, I attached them to the base using cork to help hold them in place. This would also be the foundation for the piled up dirt.



Cork holds up the walls while it all dries.


Trying to keep the planking from looking too neat and even


Double checking that the wheels fit on the boards.


Once the glue had all dried I applied light weight spackling to fill in gaps and add texture.  Then the extra details were glued into place before priming everything white.



Thought the boots with leg bones would work well with the flame cannon considering how many times mine had exploded in the Warhammer days.


Got great hammers ready for trouble.


Lots of room for crewmen.


Cannon balls are the heads of straight pins pushed into the base


Then I painted them up and textured the bases with mixed flocking.  It was while they were drying a thought began forming in the back of my mind.


Ready for habitation

Ready for habitation


Ready for the base


Still needing crew


The units had been through the regular painting process and were waiting to take up residence in their new homes.  The flame cannon crew had been finished before I even started their base as I was so excited to have a reason to work on them.  I had cut the disc bases off of the feet of the miniatures so they could be glued directly to the base.


First the cannon and crew


Move it into place, Lads.

Move it into place, Lads.


Time for drills


Looks pretty good


Mashed the tops of the posts to make them look hammered into the ground


Ready to shoot enemies


Then the Organ Gun and crew were ready to take their posts


Our turn, Boys.

Our turn, Boys.


Like it was custom made


I think they deserve to count as in cover


Taking a range reading




First unit painted and the last base finished but finally it was time for the Flame Cannon crew to move their advanced weaponry into place, preferably without any explosions.


Carefully, carefully! That's volatile stuff.

Carefully, carefully! That ammo’s volatile stuff.


Those boots are what’s left of a clumsier crewman.


The barrel looks suitably singed


Can’t be too careful with these engineer guild contraptions


Looking forward to seeing what this does on the field


Now that I had one of each of the artillery pieces available to my army (the Driller and Behemoth are both Monsters) the earlier thought came to the front of my mind.  What about all the war machines I had already painted? Wouldn’t it be nice to have a couple of empty emplacements for pieces from my finished collection? So I built a couple more siege works with beer steins and weapons handy for any crewman I temporarily assign duty there.


We need to bring in the veteran crews.

We need to bring in the veteran crews.


Accidentally used slightly larger circles but that makes them more versatile.


Beer tankards handy because it is thirsty work.


Even room for figure bases.


Left space open in front as some of my old cannons are low to the ground


More cannon balls


Hmmmm, about the right size for a bombard now that I think about it


So once I saw the power of Indirect Fire used against me by the Kingdoms of Men I knew I was going to need some dwarf bombards of my own and rather than make more bases I think these two will be drafted into use.  Of course that means I have to get and paint some Mantic Jarrun Bombards.  I’m sure I will end up making more of these especially as Kings of War Second Edition recommends 50mm square bases for war machines.  Then again, my attention is already shifting toward Berserkers and Hordes of Bulwarkers so it might not be right away.


Nothing to see over here...

Nothing to see over here, not even sure whose boots those are…

Now go and paint some Bombards, Lad.

Now go and paint some Bombards, Lad.

1 Comment Post a comment
  1. Nov 7 2015

    Wow! Great work. I’m stealing some of your ideas for my artillery.My dwarf guns look so plain without a solid fortification around them, and I love the cannonball idea!


Leave a Reply

Note: HTML is allowed. Your email address will never be published.

Subscribe to comments