Breaking Shields and Making Tall Banner Poles
Though my Shieldbreakers didn’t survive their first Kings of War battle they proved to be both brave and effective. You gotta love those high Nerve Scores combined with Headstrong and Crushing Strength (1). Interesting that I never really looked at them as a first choice in my army lists before because they are quite a good value for their points. Many thanks to Skrapwelder for trading his unpainted Hasslefree Dwarf collection for my unpainted Oldhammer Dark Elves as it made me readdress some of my original opinions. That and I REALLY wanted the dwarfs! The smallest group in the collection were the dwarfs with great weapons (Nain is name given by Hasslefree Miniatures), provided with various heads and weapons they seemed the natural place to start to work. After I’d cleaned up the flash and mold lines I removed the tab on their feet, drilled a hole in the heel of one of them, and super glued in a piece of brass rod before using white glue to temporarily attach the figure to an individual base. I find the gel form of super glue easiest to work with and I’m less likely to get it everywhere.
While I was prepping the miniatures I began assembling the unit base. I actually built two bases at the same time as I knew I wanted to construct a regiment of crossbow armed dwarfs as well. Working on both simultaneously also helped keep them looking like they were set on the same battlefield. I used bases and decorative details from Scibor Miniatures just like my previous units as I love the appearance (they are second only to Secret Weapon Miniatures in my opinion) and want the army to look like a force that is reclaiming ancient dwarf lands. The mosaics and ruined statues go a long way toward that.
After playing miniatures games since Warhammer second edition and buying Mantic Games undead from their just about initial release (boxed sets used to come with Renedra movement trays), I have acquired quite a pile of standard size movement trays so find them the perfect starting place for building Kings of War units. After experimenting with different materials from my scrap boxes I’ve settled on wood and cork as a great combination for strength, texture (yes it matters!), weight, and ease of use. The wood is all reclaimed balsa and such leftover from various projects so each unit base cleans up a little of my workshop as well. Bonus!
I like to keep an appropriately sized miniature around to test the look and size of different parts and before I’d painted any of the actual Shieldbreakers I had a converted spear armed dwarf handy to do the job. Doesn’t hurt to test fit a few of the actual inhabitants, once their glue dries of course. Can’t have their temporary bases attaching to their permanent one.
After deciding where the bigger parts would be placed and gluing them down I covered the base with Light Weight Drywall Patch. While this was still moist I poured the charcoal mixture I get out of used up water filters. This makes for a nice texture while blending the various bits and pieces with the cork rather nicely. This also creates, after spray priming, a solid surface for painting and gluing whereas the filler alone can be a bit delicate and spongy. Just like the miniatures I base coat, wash, and highlight the piece before applying mixed flocking materials and spray sealant. Lots of spray sealant.
When I’ve finished painting and flocking the base it is time to start gluing down the finished individual soldiers. I suggest starting at the front and working back as it is easier to fit them that way. As I hadn’t finished the command crew yet I had to take a more freeform approach with the ones I had. Once they are glued in place and had time to dry I go in and touch up the paint on their feet as well as add more flocking and tufts of grass.
The figure I chose as the unit leader is actually one I already owned but with his huge, two handed hammer thought he’d be perfect to lead Mac’s Lads. I’ll probably end up getting another for use as a role playing figure. The standard bearer and musician were regular troopers with a bit of conversion work. The musician simply involved gluing on one of the horns I got in a pack of instruments from Reaper Miniatures. They have some great little bits and pieces and many of the sprues can be purchased separately. After all those spearheads and gripping hands I’d dealt with it was no problem to cut off one of the weapons, drill out the hands, and glue in some brass rod as the banner pole. I topped it off with a piece I cut off of an extra Iron Guard banner. In previous posts I’ve mentioned the wisdom off planning for storage while working on terrain. I didn’t take that into account with this banner pole and will have to add yet another thicker tray to my Army Transport bag. Of course that means I have room to make some more tall units now.
After I had glued a couple of troopers on with Mac I waited until the rest of the command staff were finished so I could attach them in front before adding any more regular soldiers. This matters if you make big flags like I do and don’t want to lose figures behind it or have bent unnaturally. Once touch-up paint and secondary flocking were done I added tufts of grass to break up the surfaces and add a further overgrown quality. As mentioned in the previous post, they weathered shelling, took a charge from heavy cavalry, and still helped take down said horsemen before succumbing to Ryan’s artillery and magic chicanery PLUS nothing needed re-gluing after the battle. All in all, a most auspicious beginning for this unit which, by the way, I think came out quite well. Now if you’ll excuse me, there are some crossbow armed dwarfs that need my attention… and another elemental.