Rats! Rats! and more Rats!
Feeling all H.P. Lovecrafty and so pulled out all of the rats, rat swarms and (when they arrived) plague rats from my Reaper Bones collection. While the rats came on their own little flagstone bases I wanted to mount them on Mantic round bases. I figured I’d just sculpt some detail around them to match or I’d just cover the whole thing with flocking if it didn’t work out. The first material I used shrank when dried and looked terrible. Then I remembered Das Pronto, air drying clay, picked some up at my local craft store, and applied it to the bases, even the two I had tested other materials on. Guess I wouldn’t need to flock these after all.
As is my habit, I painted them in batches. This really helped me avoid my first instinct to paint them all grey. I started with the swarms and was halfway through before I noticed the skulls. The bright white material Reaper uses makes it hard to see details sometimes but that’s what more paint is for. I base coated them several shades of grey and brown before painting their little pink bits. When dry I stained them with Games Workshop’s Agrax Earthshade and left them to dry. After touching up some details and adding highlights of the base colors they were ready for flocking.
While I may have started the rats in grey I did limit it to two, so feel there was some form of victory. The larger rats were base coated, stained and then highlighted in lighter shades of the base coats and, obviously, left unflocked. Hooray for Das Pronto Air Hardening Clay.
Got to have some black rats to come creeping off the cargo ships, carrying their own tiny, toxic passengers.
The last two had to be white. I mean, how else are they going to take over the world?
While I was working on these the box of Reaper’s Bones2 Kickstarter rewards arrived with two huge, disease ridden rats in the core set so they were scrubbed with dish soap, glued to bases and put straight onto the table. These were base coated but I was far more specific where I used the different color stains. The boils and pustules were highlighted in a light yellow while the fur patches were painted browns (I already had black rats painted) and the fleshy areas given highlights of light flesh tones. Black eyes and shiny teeth finished them off before flocking the base (they didn’t have flagstone bases). They certainly are an intimidating pair.
It’s beginning to look like all I’m painting is Bones figures and while there are quite a few I’ve finished so far (and not posted), I’ve also been hard at work on my Oldhammer dwarf units and some wonderful Bombshell Babes figures and Hasslefree, there’s always a Hasslefree mini on the table and the Deadzone troops…
I guess I better get back to the table or paint a lot of cats. A whole lot of big, hungry cats.