Feeling all H.P. Lovecrafty and so pulled out all of the rats, rat swarms and (when they arrived) plague rats from my Reaper Bones collection. While the rats came on their own little flagstone bases I wanted to mount them on Mantic round bases. I figured I’d just sculpt some detail around them to match or I’d just cover the whole thing with flocking if it didn’t work out. The first material I used shrank when dried and looked terrible. Then I remembered Das Pronto, air drying clay, picked some up at my local craft store, and applied it to the bases, even the two I had tested other materials on. Guess I wouldn’t need to flock these after all.
As is my habit, I painted them in batches. This really helped me avoid my first instinct to paint them all grey. I started with the swarms and was halfway through before I noticed the skulls. The bright white material Reaper uses makes it hard to see details sometimes but that’s what more paint is for. I base coated them several shades of grey and brown before painting their little pink bits. When dry I stained them with Games Workshop’s Agrax Earthshade and left them to dry. After touching up some details and adding highlights of the base colors they were ready for flocking.
While I may have started the rats in grey I did limit it to two, so feel there was some form of victory. The larger rats were base coated, stained and then highlighted in lighter shades of the base coats and, obviously, left unflocked. Hooray for Das Pronto Air Hardening Clay.
Got to have some black rats to come creeping off the cargo ships, carrying their own tiny, toxic passengers.
The last two had to be white. I mean, how else are they going to take over the world?
While I was working on these the box of Reaper’s Bones2 Kickstarter rewards arrived with two huge, disease ridden rats in the core set so they were scrubbed with dish soap, glued to bases and put straight onto the table. These were base coated but I was far more specific where I used the different color stains. The boils and pustules were highlighted in a light yellow while the fur patches were painted browns (I already had black rats painted) and the fleshy areas given highlights of light flesh tones. Black eyes and shiny teeth finished them off before flocking the base (they didn’t have flagstone bases). They certainly are an intimidating pair.
It’s beginning to look like all I’m painting is Bones figures and while there are quite a few I’ve finished so far (and not posted), I’ve also been hard at work on my Oldhammer dwarf units and some wonderful Bombshell Babes figures and Hasslefree, there’s always a Hasslefree mini on the table and the Deadzone troops…
I guess I better get back to the table or paint a lot of cats. A whole lot of big, hungry cats.
The Kick Start rewards from the Reaper Miniatures Bones 2 arrived recently in a truly impressive box. There was hardly enough space in my apartment for it. While I’m far from finished painting the first set of minis I have made quite a bit of progress so don’t feel any need to wait on starting on these. First I had to fit them all into a much smaller space.
All the fantasy characters and a lot of monsters fit into one divided plastic box. The science fiction figures got their own box and the larger pieces will fit into one larger plastic box. Dragons Don’t Share came in its own fairly compact box so there it remains. This really helps with my storage issues and makes it a lot easier to get to the miniatures. Of course this also makes it far more likely I’ll get inspired to put color down on them. Speaking of inspiring, even during the Kickstart campaign the female dwarf riding a bear had me itching to grab my brushes. When I actually saw the figure I wasn’t disappointed and knew that’s where I’d be starting. That she has an eye patch practically guarantees she will become a Berserker Lord on Brock in my Kings of War army … and another post.
I’ve been following Chris Palmer in his quest to paint all of his Reaper Bones miniatures through his blog at http://allbonesabout.blogspot.com. I like the challenge he set himself as well as his fairly regular schedule for posting. It helps keep me moving on some projects but also makes me want to paint some of the Bones figures that may have escaped my initial attention and dropped low in the painting priorities. When I saw his giant spiders and scarab beetles I went and dug mine out of the box they had been waiting in and glued them to upside down Mantic round bases. I liked his color choices so much I pretty much just copied them. This had the added benefit of circumventing my usual pondering time which greatly speeded up painting which made me want to start the rest of the bugs immediately.
Being a long time Tomb Kings player I knew the value of swarms and scorpions. The scorpions were easy color choices and I decided to paint the swarms as smaller versions of the bugs I had already finished, again, avoiding the dangerous decision loop. The shape and size of the swarms precluded the need for bases so I just flocked the bits that weren’t creepy crawlies. In the case of the spider swarms this wasn’t needed as every surface seems to be some part of some spider of some unnatural dimension. I’m still a little freaked out by the experience.
I really liked the look of the scorpions once they were finished. I can see them causing no end of trouble for dungeon crawling adventurers. Guess I better write something up for Kublacon.
I think I’ll start the rats next.