Early finished Bones
One of the things that attracted me to the first Bones Kick Starter campaign were all the lovely monsters from the Dungeon and Dragons games of my imaginative youth. So I started with the beholder, the mimic, and the zombies as they would also paint quickly. I can’t seem to find my pictures of the beholder so will post them in a later update.
Not sure if he’s a skinny Terminator but I chose to paint him as survivor in a one sleeved jacket. The Bones base is textured like a steel walkway but smaller than the round Mantic bases I like to use with my modern and sci/fi figures so I glued the figure on one side and texture mix in the other. I might still add some tufts of dead grass but haven’t decided.
Back to undead because I love these transparent figures and am so looking forward to seeing how the ones in Bones2 come out. I wanted it to appear to be shimmering in and out of physicality. The robes being the thinner areas were also the more transparent so I decided to make the most of that quality and neither paint nor seal the surface (since it fogs the plastic). I used a brush on sealant on the hands, skull, and base.
The rogue was the first seriously bent Bones figure I had to contend with. Both swords were badly curved and the bow was bent backwards. Having read about the nature of the plastic and the hot/cold water trick I decided to try it out. I heated a mug of water in the microwave for a minute. I have found that thicker pieces require a little more heat but two minutes is about it. Holding the figure by the base I held the pieces to bend in the water for approximately 30 seconds, removed it from the water, moved the now very wiggly plastic to where I wanted it before putting the figure in cold water. It really is easy and amazing how pieces just take on the new form. Since these take super glue so well I anticipate lots of easy conversions.