Slaying Berserkers or Berserk Slayers
I picked up a Troop (5) of Mantic’s Dwarf Berserkers recently. Once I realized the strips left over from my Warhammer unit trays were perfect bases for them I dove into my unpainted collection to create another one. Building them in strips of five Troops just makes sense as they can be combined to a Half Regiment and even if not playing Kings of War they are a full rank of five in Warhammer. Slayers die in droves, if they are achieving their goals, and many are the battles when I have had to remove far more than five at a time. Ryan’s Chaos Knights have a number of lines, okay… pages, in my Book of Grudges.
As is my habit now, I drilled (after clipping the tabs off) and pinned the feet of the Games Workshop figures onto temporary bases using white glue. This gives me something solid to attach to my painting “handles” and quick and easy to attach once done. The Mantic Berserkers, however, had smaller feet and bigger bases and as one of my goals is to keep any new projects moving across the table I decided expedience was the wisest choice and glued five of Mantic’s bases onto the unit strip leaving the circular tabs firmly attached.
Stanley has accurately described our group as “Chipmunks on Crack” as we jump from one game system to another, trying out various genres, scales as well as materials (see my Wooden Wars posts if in doubt). Truth be told, we just love games, especially if we get to paint and build stuff. So my table is a scattered mix of things at any one time. I have found though that if I have twenty of one thing in front of me all at once I can get frustrated so instead I keep two or three cycling through at all times until the group is complete.
Since I had used Scibor Miniature’s bases on my other recent dwarf units I decided to do the same on the strip of five Games Workshop figures as well. To help tie into the Mantic strip, which had none, I only used two Scibor bases and it ended up looking as ancient and overgrown as the Rangers’ base.
I primed and painted the textured base just as I would a mini. Since there wasn’t any detail to paint on the other I glued the standard bearer on before primer as it would be a more stable base to hold onto. Metal standards can be quite top heavy and I cringe remembering the number that have fallen off the Blu-taked handles in past. Always when most focused on final detail painting and never into the soft lap but rather the solid floor. Then it was simply a matter of gluing figures on as they came off the line or Finish Basic Training as I like to think of it.
I flocked the bases using green and brown mixtures of Woodland Scenics turfs and finished them off with some grass clumps. I’m so pleased with them I’m already going through the depths of my unpainted vaults to find more slayers. I think two more strips of five should do it. Haven’t decided whether I want another set with standard and musician or just crazed nutters. Probably have enough unpainted that the answer will end up being both. Of course any those will have to wait for me to finish the Hasslefree Dwarf crossbows but that’s for an entirely different post.